Thursday, January 10, 2008

Lesson of Love,



Although I consider myself a pretty careful and cautious mommy, I have found myself leaving my 11 year old son Jacob in the car by himself lately.

He's more independent now and doesn't always want to hang around with mom so I will let him stay in the car playing his video games.

Tonight I was just running into the 99 cent store for a couple of things, so I took the babies with me and Jacob stayed in the car with our dog Spike. I had found a parking spot in the very front so I could see my car from the store windows.

When I was in line I heard a car alarm going off, I looked up and saw it was my alarm because my lights were flashing. I paid at the register and then me and the babies went to the car.

I asked Jacob why the alarm was going off and to my horror he told me that a man had tried to get into the car!!! He said that the man had a hood over his head and he tried several times to open the front driver side door. Our dog Spike started barking and growling, and then the alarm went off.

Jacob says that the guy must have got scared with the alarm and the dog because he ran off towards the store. He lost him in the crowd of people so Jacob's not sure where the guy went after that.

We're not sure if the guy actually saw Jacob. Jacob says that the guy tried to look in the backseat but with the tinted windows and it was dark outside, who knows if he saw Jacob or not.

I have to say I have this horrible sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and a pain in my heart to think that this person may have hurt or kidnapped my son in his attempt to steal my car. The car can be replaced, but my son cannot be.

Needless to say, I will NEVER leave my kids alone in the car EVER again!

2 comments:

Floresitas said...

OMG!! How scary! I'll leave my kids in the car from time to time and I always think,"It'll never happen to me." At least Jacob is fine and safe and doesn't seem traumatized. and thank goodness for Spike! go, spike! Angels were around your car that day. Taught me a valuable lesson too!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness comadre! Gracias a dios Jacob is ok. Yeah, no matter what, don't leave anyone in the car! That's too scary. :(